Conference play in the Atlantic 10 officially begins tonight as Saint Louis takes on Rhode Island. Here are my predictions on how the league standings will look come March. Predicted conference record in parenthesis:
1. Massachusetts (13-2) – Have you watched these guys play, incredible, and it’s not all just Chaz Williams. Big man Cady Lalanne is a force
2. Saint Louis (11-5) – One of the best defensive teams in the country. Only losses are close calls against Wisconsin and Wichita State.
3. VCU (11-5) – Not exactly scaring people as much as they did last season but they still force more turnovers than anyone else in the country. They will out-work you on both ends just flat out find ways to win. Juvonte Reddic might be NBA bound.
4. Dayton (10-6) – Biggest surprise of the conference so far. A team with a very efficient offense and they are deep with a lot of guys who can score.
5. George Washington (9-7) – Did George Mason ever consider Mike Lonergan before they hired Paul Hewitt? They should have.
6. Richmond (9-7) – The Spiders could crack the top five but need to find more offense.
7. St. Bonaventure (8-8) – Haven’t seen them play but they scored 102 in a win over Iona. Yes that Iona.
8. Saint Joesph’s (7-9) – Phil Martelli squads are looking pretty average these days. They do enter conference play winning 7 of their last 9.
9. Rhode Island (7-9) – Recent win over LSU was impressive.
10. La Salle (6-10) - What happened to these guys? I thin they will find their groove in conference play but it might come too late.
11. George Mason (5-11) – To be honest, five wins in this conference seems very generous given what we’ve seen recently.
12. Fordam (4-12) – Freshman Jon Severe is a future star.
13. Duquesne (4-12) – Mason’s only chance for a series sweep in the conference.
What are you A-10 predictions? How many conference wins will George Mason have this year?